Tuesday 12 June 2012

First Attempt At Dress Making

I've spent years making things here and there but until now have never dared to try my hand at clothes making. I still don't feel inspired to have a go at making clothes for myself; but I guess my inspiration has come from the girls - making clothes for the children seems like a fun idea.

I remember (not with fond memories)  at school having to make a pattern , cutting it out in calico first, sewing it by hand before ever being let near a sewing machine. Briefly touching on clothes making 20 years ago I guess has stayed with me and given me the basic principles (very basic) of dress making.

I decided to break myself in gently and make a simple dress for my youngest Ruby. I took another dress she had and planned on drawing round the front and back separately to give me two patterns. The only problem was that searching around the house I couldn't find a piece of card large enough. So I had to make half a pattern this was done by literally drawing around half of the front and half of the back.

With this stage complete I realized my lack of planning ahead had bought me to yet another stumbling block. I didn't have any scraps of fabric large enough to make a dress so I rummaged through my linen cupboard and came across a duvet cover that I rarely used and thought might work well plus it was blue, Ruby's favourite.


I folded the fabric in half, placed my pattern along the folded edge. I then drew around it adding an extra 1.5 inches and cut it out. To make the back of the pattern I did the same.

Once I had my two pieces of fabric I turned in the edges around the neck and sleeves, sewed them as well as down the two sides.

Using the other side of the duvet cover I made a pocket and contrasting hem.
This dress couldn't have been simpler and if you look too closely you can easily tell it is 'homemade' but I'm proud of it.

The dress was huge on Ruby but my eldest, Niamh seemed to like it !


















3 comments:

  1. Cool! Can you make one? I'm serious......Sponge X

    ReplyDelete
  2. That should say, make me one. Sponge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happily! Out of the same duvet cover?!!!

      Delete